Friday 14 September 2012

Strawberry Cordial

I had an excess amount of strawberry punnets so after a quick search I came up with the idea to make strawberry cordial. I am so glad that I did.

I used this recipe from
taste.com.au for Strawberry & cardamom cordial. Although I didn't have any cardamon in the house I still followed the rest of the instructions to make my strawberry cordial.

An added bonus I was not expecting was the left over strawberries once being strained made a very nice strawberry jam - so I got two for the price of one with this.
The strawberry cordial works very nicely with sparkling wine - and you only need a tiny bit of the cordial.
 
Strawberry Cordial Recipe
430g (2 cups) caster sugar
500ml (2 cups) cold water
1 tbs fresh lemon juice
2 x 250g punnets strawberries, hulled, washed, halved
 
Combine the sugar, water and lemon juice in a large saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until the sugar dissolves. Increase heat to high and simmer for 5 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly.
 
Reduce heat to medium-low. Add the strawberries. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Set aside for 30 minutes or until completely cool. Strain strawberry pulp, gently pressing with the back of a spoon, through a fine sieve into a clean bottle.
 
Place 2 tbs of the cordial in each serving glass. Top with chilled water or soda water and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment