Thursday 4 October 2012

Chicken Curry and Naan Bread

Homemade chicken curry (using free range chicken of course) but instead of pairing it with rice I decided to have a go at making my own naan bread. Both turned out to be a great success.
 
I am really enjoying having time to make home cooked meals. I have always liked cooking and dabbling in baking but I like to do it when I have the time and energy to do it. Makes the finished product seem like more of an achievement when love and care has been put into the food.
 
You can find the original recipes by clicking on the links but here it is with my amendments;
Quick Chicken Curry
2 tbs sunflower oil
500g skinless free range chicken thigh fillets, cut into 3cm pieces
1 onion, chopped
1 tbs minced garlic
1 tbs dried chili flakes
2 tablespoons minced ginger
3 tbs tikka masala curry paste
400g can chopped tomatoes
400ml coconut milk
2 tbs crunchy peanut butter
400g can chickpeas

Heat the sunflower oil in a flameproof casserole dish over medium-high heat. Add the free range chicken, onion, garlic, chili and ginger and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until chicken starts to brown. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for a further 1 minute or until fragrant. Season, then stir in tomato, coconut milk, peanut butter and chickpeas until combined. Cover until chicken is cooked through and the sauce has thickened.
 
Naan Bread
450g (3 cups) bread flour
7g (2 tsp) dried yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp caster sugar
185ml (3/4 cup) warm water
90g (1/3 cup) greek yoghurt
 
Combine the flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a bowl. Mix in water, yoghurt and oil. I used my Kitchenaid Mixer to knead the dough. 
Set bowl aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size. 
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 250°C. Preheat pizza tray for 40 minutes. Punch down dough then divide it into 6 portions.  
Roll out each portion of dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12 x 20cm oval shape.  
Spray both sides of the dough with oil. Bake on pizza tray for 5 minutes or until puffed and light golden.
 
Chicken Laksa
I had left over chicken curry so I added noodles, another can of coconut milk along with veggies and turned it into laksa. Another meal made from leftovers.



1 comment:

  1. I LOVE curries, especially the Indian varieties. Vindaloo is my favourite! I'm Pescetarian so I make mine with seafood or vegetables. I do make meat curries for the meat-eaters in the family tho. :)

    Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete