Tuesday 2 October 2012

Lemon Curd

Yesterday I made lemon curd for the first time. It was supper easy and something I will definitely make again given my access to a very fruitful lemon tree in our backyard.

I plan to make a a lemon meringue pie also and will use the lemon curd in this as the filling. Leaving it overnight to cool should save me some time tomorrow. I can be a little impatient and the though of having to wait 30 minutes for pastry in the fridge before rolling out & then waiting for the lemon curd to cool for hours is just too much for me. So by having this step done in advance it should save some frustration when it comes to pie making time.

Lemon Curd Recipe
2 eggs, plus 2 egg yolks (I will hold onto the 2 egg whites for meringues topping)
3/4 cup (165g) caster sugar
1/3 cup (80g) chilled unsalted butter
Zest and juice of 2 lemons (I used more than 2 lemons as my lemons didn't seem very juicy)

Whisk whole eggs, yolks and sugar in a saucepan until smooth, then place pan over a low heat. Add the butter, juice and zest and whisk continuously until thickened. Strain through a sieve into a sterilised jar. Lemon curd keeps, covered, in the fridge for 2 weeks.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/17755/lemon+curd

Since I had the juicer out also I had another attempt at making Orange Juice and no surprise once I removed the white pith the juice came out a hell of a lot more sweeter and not bitter like my first attempt. You still use a lot of oranges for not so much juice but I don't mind as long as the oranges from our tree are being used and not wasted. I think I will attempt to make orange cordial at some stage.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey,

    Thanks for the recipe...I'm sure my daughter would like this as she loves all things lemon-y.

    Btw, I'm looking forward to following along through Blogtoberfest. It seems we both have a love of animals and the environment.

    ~ Serena :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh! Yum. Yum. YUM!
    Thanks for the recipe, Stacey, I adore lemon curd.
    Delighted you're bringing your know-how and flair to Blogtoberfest12.
    Kat xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kat. Happy to be on board.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree after having a quick look at your blog that we both appear to have shared interests. I have started following your blog & look forward to reading more :-)

    ReplyDelete